Ode to Butter

At the end of this year in my English class we studied poems, specifically Pablo Neruda's Odes to Common Things. I loved them. On actually writing them myself, I found I had a bit of trouble starting, but once I got going it was really amazing. I also noticed while I was writing mine that, I tended to make them rhyme, even though odes do not need to. I guess I just like how they sound when they rhyme. I think Robert Frost once said that he would rather plat tennis without a net than write poetry without rhyme. I suppose Robert Frost and I share a similar mind. To all you poetry experts out there, I call my poem an 'ode' even though it is probably not because of fancy official rules and I am aware of this. I am not a poet; I simply jotted down some rhymes about butter, far from poetry. The first one I wrote was an Ode to Butter, I actually made this one up in my head during recess with my friends (they happened to be buttering their bagels at the moment) and then further edited it in homeroom later that day. I had one of my homeroom teachers look over it (she taught English) and apparently I committed stylistic plagiarism without even knowing it. The first lines, 'Butter, butter everywhere Butter, butter in our hair Butter, butter in the sea Butter, butter come to me!'  evidently matched that of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 'Water, water everywhere' (written in about 1834!), as she so smugly informed me. I was not familiar with this poem so I looked it up and it is super long and I have no idea where I could have possibly heard it before to commit my stylistic plagiarism. So, I took my poem back and rewrote parts so as not to match the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I submitted it to my school's literary review and it sadly did not get published, I guess they don't want a poem about butter to represent the school. Anyway, here is my finalized Ode to Butter:


Ode to Butter 
Butter, you are everywhere,
We find you in our hair.
Butter, you could float, melt in the sea,
Butter, dear butter, come back to me!
But wait, pause, let’s take a breath,
Has my sweet butter met its death?
Butter, loved butter, where are you my friend?
Butter, oh butter, have you come to your end?
Salty, yet sweet,
Creamy, complete. 
Daisy colored beauty in a soft foil tin, 
Can be spread thick on your bagel, or maybe spread thin.
So many uses, so many ways,
Butter we’ll have you ‘til the end of our days!

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece of poetry. And so nice to have chosen something so many of us take for granted. I learned to appreciate butter through my grandmother who loved it with a passion. She told me there was absolutely none in Amsterdam during the war; in fact there was nothing much to eat for the greater part of the war, but she told me she would always dream of slices of bread spread thickly with butter. If she were still alive I am sure she would frame your ode and hang it on her kitchen wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother grew up in Guyana, South America and I remember when I was little she would tell me about how she used to have to churn the butter to make it and I thought that was the coolest thing ever! Then I tried it doing it one day and I realized it was so much work just to get some butter, something most of us just always have.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that kind of knowledge really makes you appreciate things more.

      Delete
  2. This really made me smile for two reasons, I am not sure whom I hold more in high esteem, Neruda or butter - it's close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Neruda would be turning in his grave or proud that I wrote a poem inspired by his works.

      Delete
  3. I firmly believe that butter makes any food better

    Makeshift Munch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Paula Deen lives by the same principle, although it is very true.

      Delete
  4. What is not to love!!! Our friends brought homemade bread and butter last weekend....yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm homemade bread and butter sounds delicious!

      Delete
  5. Dear Sophia, Thanks for visiting my blog. I love that you are already doing a blog and working on your writing through it. I thought your butter ode was quite good!
    Keep up the great writing. Just doing it a lot and daily is the key! Your dog is adorable!
    Have a good weekend!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete