Anticipating Alexander McQueen

I've been waiting for the Alexander McQueen show since the beginning of September (and maybe a bit during the summer, too). I can honestly say that I really don't know what to expect. Sadly, I wan't interested in fashion when Alexander, Lee, McQueen himself was designing, but since then I've viewed many of his shows and collections, enthralled by the beautiful fantasies and feelings in both the clothes and intricate settings that house them. When I first started getting interested in fashion, Alexander McQueen caught my eye the most because of his eerily haunted collections, and upon further investigation at the time, McQueen's tragic story himself.

In my opinion, when Sarah Burton took over, the designs lost all the mystery, and, well, savage beauty, that only a deep, tortured mind like McQueen could dream (or nightmare) up. Lately, the designs have taken a geometric turn, and they're all beautiful and creative, but they're just not McQueen. When I think McQueen, I think of never before seen, or imagined, elegant and beautiful, but not in the classical sense. There are no traditional silhouettes or styles, and yet it's not quite as plastic-y and (I hate saying this) dowdy as some other brands that also might be considered avant garde. Alexander McQueen is avant garde, but without being inelegant, or unpleasing to the eye.

But I feel with Sarah Burton, the fashion house has taken a different, happier maybe, route of creativity. I don't think that Ms. Burton should change her thought process, happiness, or become depressed to produce more tortured-looking ideas. It's a different person in charge and it only makes sense that it looks differently, so I can't complain really, but I do still mourn for the creations that died with the genius. I realize that the old, savagely beautiful Alexander McQueen might have been at the cost of a man's mind, soul, and life, and if that's what it takes to create such amazing shows, then by all means I am completely fine with this new Burton-McQueen hybrid.




The sharpness of the crimson and white is like autumn, apples, and blood. Like puncturing the red skin of an apple and seeing the white flesh on the inside. Alexander McQueen once said on behalf of a later collection, "There's blood beneath every layer of skin." 

"There is no better designer than nature." McQueen knows what many other designers have yet to figure out.




This is my favorite look from the Fall/Winter 2010 collection, his last before he died (he passed before it was completely finished and presented). Many times, I'll call aspects of different shows perfect, but this entire show was pure perfection, sentimentality, grief, and beauty. Like the glowing sky after a terrible storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment