Scotland on My Mind

Scotland has very much been in the news and on my mind these past days because of course, as I'm sure you've already heard plenty of, their independence referendum yesterday. I'm pretty neutral to either decision, as it doesn't effect me directly here in the states, but being a bit (just a bit) of an Anglophile, I do care and I am interested. I personally would love to see an independent Scotland, something they've been fighting for too many years, but then again I don't exactly resent Scotland being a part of the UK; I don't have a very strong opinion on the matter. Because of all the buzz, both politically-related and not, Scotland has been in my mind for a while now.

Politics first, I found BBC's What the Union Jack Would Look Like Without Scotland very interesting, and amusing. I'm glad to see the Welsh flag more apparent in most of them because many people forget about poor little Wales, especially here in the US; many of my peers at school know nothing about Wales (they think it's a misspelling of Whales). Speaking of Wales, Vogue has an interesting article proposing that if Scotland votes for independence, then Wales might too. I know that most of us don't look to Vogue for our political news, but the author voices some intriguing points.

Now we can worry about fashion. Scotland has been home to countless styles based on their rich heritage. Obviously by the title of this blog I am a big fan of plaid, and if Scotland is known for one thing, it's plaid. Vogue turned their tartan editorials into shopping guides, bringing back memories of classic highland editorials from way-back-when.

*Note* you should not base your vote on fashion.
Scotland:
   Skirt
   Skirt 
   Skirt 
   Dress 
   Scarf  
England:
   Sweater
   Socks
   Scarf
   Necklace
   Skirt

Scotland:
England:
   Sweater

Scotland
   Hunter
England:

My last Scottish favorite is Alexander McCall Smith's Sunshine On Scotland Street, from the 44 Scotland Street series. His books are richly written, with wanderlust-provoking images of Scotland,   and are a lovely light, yet thoughtful, read.


1 comment:

  1. Even though it doesn't effect me personally either, I'm glad Scotland will remain part of the UK after all. I think today more than ever we all need to stick together instead of accentuating our differences... Great fashion picks, by the way!

    Bella Pummarola

    ReplyDelete