Art Trip to MoMA


I love art. I think it would be impossible to live and not love art, or at least appreciate and respect it in some manner. Art is all around us, not just in the traditional sense of paintings, sculptures, and prints, but also in more average areas such as architecture, literature, music, cooking, clothing; art is infinite. 

As a fashion enthusiast, I relish visual art because clothing and art both have so much in common. They can express strong feelings and ideas clearly and without words. The message that they're hiding can either be quite literal, or more abstract and harder to understand. But the message in either of them, fashion or art, is completely dependent on the person viewing them. Both art and clothing are subjected to receiving different interpretations from different minds that could either be spot on or 50 miles in the wrong direction from where the creator intended it to be. (More on imagery and ideas here if you're interested.)

That being said, I definitely couldn't pass up on my mom's offer to see the Matisse cut-outs exhibition, and other great works of art, at the Museum of Modern Art. (Plus, it was a trip to New York and I never miss a trip to New York.) 


Photos weren't allowed inside the actual Henri Matisse exhibit, but I took some before and after we went in, and in the gift shop. It was a complete mob scene, but because everyone was working together towards the same common goal of viewing the art, it wasn't that bad.

The gift shop.



I didn't really understand this piece, but I still admire how the colors and materials work together.


This composition is especially captivating: it transports the viewer from an art museum to the canned foods section of a grocery store. Good work, Mr. Warhol.


Moo-Ma.
(I literally searched the entire museum for a picture of a cow so I could use that caption.)

It's very interesting to see the little-known artists, but it's also amazing to see famous paintings or sculptures up close. It was hard to get close, thanks to both security and crowds, but I'm glad that I elbowed my way in to snap a picture, even though there are countless better ones out there.

This entire room was filled with breathtaking Monet's. I love the colors and how the paint was applied to the canvas to give it a dream-like texture.


"Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!" (Caption credit goes to Dad, who has a lot of fun making fun of interpreting the art.)

I loved seeing the Mondrian's because I studied them (very basically) in my mandatory 4th grade art class. Our final project was to make one ourselves and I drew primary-colored quadrilaterals on a quarter of the page and left the other 3/4 blank. When my art teacher observed my work, I told her it represents how what's missing catches your eye more than what's already there. She loved this (ridiculous) explanation and declared me to be a Mini-Mondrian.

The scene.



Although I love art, I do think that it has it's limits, just as anything else. At some point the balance between abstract and actual goes away and the piece just looks ridiculous. Art can be fun to interpret and funny when there's nothing there to interpret. I think some of these artists can get a bit carried away.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:



Altogether, it was a very enjoyable trip to MoMA and I do hope to go again. Art really makes you think, especially when it's abstract and not laid out perfectly in front of you. I recommend abstract art to get yourself thinking and to expand your mind.

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant post I loved reading about your thoughts on art ! xx
    Fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post about your visit to the MOMA. I used to live in NYC and it was one of my favorite places to spend an afternoon. Thanks for sharing all of your gorgeous pics of the art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wish I could spend more afternoons there!

      Delete