Chanel S/S Couture 2015

Let me just start off by saying that when I woke up on Monday, my social media was bursting with posts from the Dior show. I haven't been in this industry long and I foolishly thought that this was just a special feat that happened every once in a while. The next day, I woke up and my social media was exploding with the Chanel show. A seasoned pro now, I know that my social media will apparently blow up many times this week over Spring Couture, and then many times after that about the latest, groundbreaking news that will forever change the fashion world. And be replaced by another of its kind the next day. 

There were so many unnecessary luxuries during the show that it was quite hard for me to focus on the clothes. (The matisse-cut-out-esque floral backdrop being a major one. Karl Lagerfeld should switch to sculpture or abstract interior design, it might satisfy his creative callings better.) I feel like the clothes went back in time more than forward, with the cute Chanel tweeds that I picture little old ladies going to church in. And then some desperately trying so very hard to be not-so-old-lady-like, with shredded tweeds, tulle, glitter, and midriff-bearing separates. Granny may have gone wild, but Granny is still Granny. (You can't take the heritage and history out of the Chanel tweeds and try to modernize and put new life into it. And quite frankly, I don't think that you should.)

Not to mention the bejeweled beanies that topped nearly every model's head. And if a beanie wasn't on top of her head, a dark tulle covered wide-brimmed hat was, visually depicting "an aura of mystery" around the models' heads. The outfits and mood of the show, as a whole, flew between light, fun florals to dark, dramatic grunge at the speed of light, with some looks remaining  uncommitted, neither leaning to one side nor the other. Drop-waisted and shift dresses gave vague reminisces to 60s fashion. The colors were almost as varied as glancing around a floristry, which would make sense for this collection. As for textures, there was a flowering abundance of soft but structured tulle, thick florals, some shiny fabrics, and then some more matte ones. The show ended with a soft white bride dressed in a flowery skirt, simple shirt, with a cloud atop her head and two handsome gardeners trailing behind her. I interpreted this as the first 71 looks being the guests to a colorful garden wedding for look number 72. But the groom seems to be nowhere in sight, possibly hidden in the flowery foliage. 






















I think this photo, captured by Mr. Hamish Bowles in the front row, shows the essence and glory of the Chanel bride (and her equally good looking entourage.)


8 comments:

  1. So so gorgeous, I love all the sheers and layering

    aforvogue
    NEWPOST

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the bride on Vogue.com was a graceful weightless cloud! xx
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually don't like exaggeration, but they all look gorgeous! xx

    Sara Wallflower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not one for exaggeration either, but I make an exception for couture.

      Delete
  4. So stunning, love the colours! xx


    kacytalksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete