Spain: On Foot

As you probably know, I was in Spain this past week and took an unhealthy amount of photos. To avoid overwhelming, or boring, you, I decided to distribute the photos in different posts. Earlier, I published all the photos of the roads and from the roads, appropriately titled Spain: On the Road. Now, I bring to you all the photos I took on foot whilst traveling through Spain.

This is the Peña de Francia mountain range. You can't see it in the photo, but the hills stretch out as far as your eyes can see and then some. I love the ghostly shadows mountains in the background.

At the top of the mountain is a church and some other ancient structures, among them a number of caves and tunnels like this one.

All around the edges and walls of the mountain were these tiny spikes and crossed circles labeled with the name of a city. Looking through the circle and lining the spike up with the center of the cross showed you the location of the city.


I found this branch of greenery on top of the mountain and decided to carry it around with me because there were no trees anywhere in sight so that meant it must've been special. In retrospect, it was probably some type of decoration for the church.

The stained glass windows in the mountain church were so old that they were chunks of colored, clear stones with cement in between, instead of depicting a literal scene.

I went up to the windows and felt them since there were no guards or teachers and they carried a majestic aura that seemed to call me to them. They were cool and smooth and cut with ridges and facets that allowed the light to pass through in the most beautiful way.

This is a rose that someone left on a statue of the Virgin Mary. The only people who live there are four monks but the mountain attracts a number of devoted visitors.




I don't think I've ever seen as many different shades of orange than on the house tops of Spain.

Almost every street was picture perfect; I felt like I was cheating when taking photos because I didn't have to seek out the beauty. It was in plain sight.

I love how average buildings blend into grand castles.



This one is a bit out of focus (it was sunny and I couldn't really tell what I was taking a photo of), but I think I like it better like that. It adds to the character.


We would be walking along the humbly beautiful streets and then suddenly a spire would come into view, eventually turning into an entire, grand cathedral.

Crosses and dates are legible on top of some of the doorways. They date back to the Spanish Inquisition.

This is the town dog, Zoofus, with the Zoo sounding more like Thoo because of the accent. He followed me around because he smelled the chorizo I had in my backpack.


This is an odd statue for one who doesn't know the context, like me when I first saw it and before I recognized what was actually going on in the statue.

There's so much complexity to this; you could stare at it for hours and not see all of the details. 

One detail I did get to notice was the astronaut in the ivy, something I'm certain did not exist at the time of this cathedral's construction.

I love the atmosphere in old churches and cathedrals: a gentle and silent awe and mesmerization. 


This is the back of the Royal Palace of Madrid. Not the front, but the back.

The water really was this green, but not in a disgusting way. It was a clean green.

This is another side of the Royal Palace. In fact, there was a parking lot right below the stairs in the photo, but the question of how the cars got up the stairs to the sides of the palace still stands.


This is the front of the palace. This photo was taken with my phone through the gate.

La Plaza Mayor in Madrid. It was funny to see all the silly street vendors and entertainers in such a impressive environment.


La Plaza Mayor in Salamanca. Even though it's a smaller plaza and less known, I actually prefer it to Madrid's.


The plaza at night. Just as it starts to get dark, the lights dazzle on producing a united ooohhh  from the crowd.

The courtyard at my school. I took Spanish classes for about four hours during 4 days but it didn't seem like that much at all. I much prefer them to my usual classes....

 This is some of the art found on the streets of Salamanca. I really wish I photographed more of it; it was so beautiful. There was art almost everywhere, a nice contrast to the old architecture.


Up Next: the final installment of my travels to Spain, and possibly the most important, The Food.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing historical and impressive architectures! The stained glass windows are really beautiful! It's incredible what people can do with their hands, right?! This travel was a great experience for you for sure, Sophia! Thank you for visiting my blog, I really appreciate your comment, dear!!!

    xxx
    JOURNAL OF STYLE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all very awe inspiring and beautiful!

      Delete