Spain: On the Road

As you might have guessed from my lack of posts this past week, I was on a trip. And, as you would know from my Instagram, that trip was to Spain. Oh, where to begin? I'll start off saying that I begin this trip with about 280 photos in my camera roll and I ended it with about 700. Even after severe deleting sessions, my ending number of photos was still around 600. To break up that massive amount, I decided to publish two different posts for Spain. One for the "on the road" pictures of streets and views from the bus windows, and one for the "on foot" photos I took while walking. I meant to write this post a long time ago (I got back on Saturday and planned to have it up on Sunday) but between catching up on emails and jet lag it got a bit postponed. Better late than never, though!


This is a view from my bus window on the way to Madrid from Salamanca. When I first arrived, I was surprised how rocky and mountainous it was. I'm not sure what I expected the landscape to be like, but I certainly didn't expect this. 

I love this photo of a lone tree and the ghostly shadows of the mountain range in the background. On the long bus rides, I would never let myself sleep (or if I did I would be very guilty later) because there was so much to see. The mountains stretched out all around us and just as you'd memorize all the details of one mountain, the road would turn allowing you to examine it from a different angle.

The Arc de Triomphe of Spain. This one is also located in a roundabout, but the traffic isn't nearly as wild.


Part of the European charm, I think, is the age and accessibility of it. Europe is much older than America, but Europe doesn't treat its oldness like something fragile that can only be looked at. Old buildings and streets in Europe are still used in modern ways, whereas America's few are treated like artifacts behind velvet ropes. The accessibility of the history just adds so much to the culture.



This bridge was massive but people didn't just hang around in awe. They continued with their daily activities almost oblivious to the grandeur. You could tell the tourists from the locals because they locals are used to the beauty.






The next couple of photos are from the bus ride to La Peña de Francia, the mountain(s) in the background of most of the road shots. The window of the bus had a blueish tint so that's why these photos appear to have a filter on them.


The road was so twisty, every time the bus had to make a new turn I worried we would go through the flimsy metal railing.





El toro! 



The cows were lying down and sure enough it rained later that day.
I would be looking out the window at the scattered trees and then we'd get closer and little white dots would appear. As the bus got even closer to the area I would recognize them as white cows, or in some cases, donkeys and pigs.



This is the tiny plaza of La Alberca, a small town located near La Peña de Francia. 

Stay tuned for the Spain: On Foot post!

No comments:

Post a Comment