Fashion is My Distraction

"Fashion is My Passion." Normally this saying is accompanied by a Tumblr photo of some generic, overused trend and said by a girl who also projects the similar expression, "More Issues Than Vogue," but couldn't name one editor (and also wouldn't know that Harper's Bazaar is the oldest fashion magazine and therefore has more issues than Vogue.) This irks me beyond measure, which is unfortunate because I currently attend middle school, where the number of "fashionistas" quoting Coco Chanel (and thinking her real name is Coco...) is possibly at its highest. It's perfectly fine to enjoy everyday, casual, shopping mall clothes, but I just wish they wouldn't go around proclaiming fashion as their "passion." Because it's not. 

Their fashion education extends only as far as shopping for trends at Forever 21; trends I knew would happen 6 months ahead because I witnessed the unabridged version on the runways during the previous fashion month. Normally those who say fashion is my passion know nothing about the actual fashion industry. All they know of is the mythical runway shows of about 5 designers (normally based off the celebrity count in the front row), the Instagrams of their favorite Kardashian flaunting their newest campaign advertisement, and then whatever happens to be on the racks at their favorite store. They know nothing of the weeks of fashion shows (moreover all that goes into them), the difference between ready to wear and haute couture (or as they say and use in the wrong context, "hot cotore." Here, I cringe.), not to mention any of the business parts - in their minds the clothes they wear are completely unrelated to the wacky things walking down the runway and their style is completely their own. (Here, I laugh.) They have no idea that fashion editors and journalists and stylists exist; in their minds, the only jobs in fashion are designing and modeling. And it may sound like I'm generalizing terribly, but, as I said before, I go to school everyday with this and silently witness the horror of teenage girls fancying themselves high fashion (who knew it could be an adjective?) for owning a Kate Spade wallet. 

At this point in my long rant, you may be thinking, Well Sophia, if all of these girls don't really have a passion for fashion, do you? And I'll answer your improbable wonders by saying that I do not have a passion for fashion. Fashion is not my passion, it is my distraction. I envelop myself in the fashion industry to escape from my 13 year old life. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with my life, I haven't got any traumatic experiences or hardships to my name. I just find it boring. You may think it ungrateful to want to escape a perfectly normal existence, but my thinking is that if I can spend my free time more productively by learning and exploring fashion, then why not? That's where my blog came in; just a little place to share what I find and think. I definitely appreciate fashion and my goal is to learn as much as I can about all areas of it (including journalism, retail, design, and yes, everyday, average, shopping mall clothes) but I wouldn't call it a passion. (I won't call it a passion, possibly for the fact that I resent just hearing that.) Fashion is my distraction from what should be the most important things in my life (school, social life, and extracurriculars) and my blog has made my schedule and time tighter, and being more versed in fashion has made me notice more among my peers and given me more pet peeves, but I still put it highest on my life list. Fashion is currently my distraction, but only until I can make it my life. 













8 comments:

  1. I love Valentino collection, but also Undercover and Maison Margiela are gorgeous!:)
    M
    http://sunstreetbymonica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha great post, I love your writing style! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post - I particularly enjoyed the play on words you used for your title and how you describe fashion relative to the other areas of your life!
    Very enjoyable!!
    Heather
    www.alittlecasual.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this post - I particularly enjoyed the play on words you used for your title and how you describe fashion relative to the other areas of your life!
    Very enjoyable!!
    Heather
    www.alittlecasual.com

    ReplyDelete