From the Runway to the Red Carpet, Something Is Lost in Transition

While runway collections are meaningful and true to the brands that show them, the designs walking the red carpets seem to be little more than "pretty dresses." Red carpet fashion doesn't show the character and depth of the brands they represent. A runway show is a concentrated version of a designer and all they stand for, so I wouldn't expect any single piece from a collection to be perfectly concrete in character, but for runway fashion to be as generic as it is seems almost wrong. It's wrong that one of the main ways these creations are used doesn't show their meaning. And I know at the word "generic" someone will point me to Rihanna's egg dress but completely ignore the 50 billion gowns that don't look like they belong to any one designer and certainly don't belong to any statement or idea. Red carpet fashion doesn't have to tell complete stories like runway shows or ad campaigns but it should convey a certain aspect from that collection; they should be more than "nice looking."

I would never guess this is a Givenchy dress. Never. It's beautiful on Beyoncé, but it's just not Givenchy.

Louis Vuitton?

I think Meryl Streep looked amazing in this Dolce & Gabbana dress. She managed to express Dolce without looking like an overly Italian goddess (I'm looking at you, Tabitha Simmons.)

Jennifer Lawrence looks excellent as always, but this just doesn't say Dior, or more specifically, what Dior has been conveying in recent collections. 

I despised the Chanel collection from which this piece is from, but I loved this look on its own.

I think I read this is Alexander Wang, but nothing about this look would help me remember that.

4 comments:

  1. This is such an interesting post, and I totally agree!
    Isabelle xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!
      ~Sophia
      http://plaidismyfavouritecolour.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Sophia great points!

    Http:// tinytiffs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete