The Characters of the 2015 Royal Welsh Show

I was scrolling through Vogue.com in search of inspiration and expecting to see the usual mix of celebrities' groundbreaking sartorial decisions, rules to conquer the new (fashion) season, and reasons why so-and-so is the new so-and-so. But to my intrigue and surprise (Vogue always keeps me on my toes) I found something that stood out from the usual model pics. Portraits from the Royal Welsh Agricultural Show: a collection of photos depicting proud British farmers their animals (or, in some cases, plants.) It doesn't seem like the type of event a fashion magazine would cover, but the photos were undoubtedly Vogue-worthy. The pictures showed real-life, hard-working people in modest, practical clothes, working selflessly for their livestock and happy in doing that. 

The photos captured the individuals, human and otherwise, the farm show scene they made up, and the patchwork of green and sky that is the beautiful country of Wales.


The first photo was of a man and his goose; the picture looked so much like a caricature I couldn't help but whip up a cartoon in Adobe Illustrator. 






I've got a spark for country living inside of me, I ride horses and pay a visit to a local farm show every year, so I particularly appreciated these photos. 










These rustic, of-the-moment photos were more charming and better styled than the usual high-expense, styled-to-the-last-thread editorials that Vogue normally shoots out.

6 comments:

  1. these photos seem much better than any country themed editorial which simply wouldn't do justice to the relationships these people have formed with their plants or livestock

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, the real-life human-animal bond in these photos is what creates the charm.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love that Vogue have come out with these photos- it's gritty real life. Love your cartoon too haha xo
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting piece for Vogue to publish! I love it! Your illustration is super cute too x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad Vogue throws in these little curious pieces every now and then! Thanks!

      Delete