Sharpen Your Skills Before Fashion Month Begins

Bored in the dusty, dry weeks before the excitement and speed of fashion month? I was, too, before Business of Fashion announced their new Education section, "an online resource for fashion students, educators and entrepreneurs." The platform includes lists of global fashion schools, fashion business basics, fashion marketing and communications, a course on fashion entrepreneurship, and, my favorites, a fashion history series by Colin McDowell and an A-Z dictionary of, you guessed it, fashion terms, by Camilla Morton. As a fashion writer/commentator/critic, the fashion history section is particularly useful to me in order to compare and contrast the present and past, understand evolutions, and to acknowledge legacies. The dictionary is another wonderful tool to sharpen both your technical understanding of clothing as well as your communication skills for descriptions. (This fashion dictionary compares well with WWD's; BoF's is a bit easier to navigate and a bit more up-to-date, but WWD's covers a broader spectrum.) 

I am beyond thankful to the BoF team for creating this accessible learning platform where nonprofessionals such as myself can improve our fashion knowledge without obtaining a formal fashion education (but the school rankings are there if we do chose to pursue a formal education, something I might be looking at in 3 years time.) And I'm even more thankful that they introduced this while I still have a good amount of summertime to waste, before both fashion week and school start. (I look back to my runway reviews from last September and cringe, but hopefully both my fashion interpretation and writing skills have improved a bit since then, and I know I'll go miles thanks to these BoF resources.)

fashion history on pinterest

7 comments:

  1. Hmm sounds like a great platform :)

    Sarah x
    www.palmtreesandheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get where you're coming from- about reading past stuff you wrote and cringing, but I think some of the best fashion bloggers are able to pick apart the contemporary associations and inspirations of designers, and relate those clothes to themselves on a personal level which still incorporates some kind of narrative

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read some of my old stuff, I see that the ideas are all there, but my mistake lies in the way I convey and communicate those ideas (which is why BoF education is so great for becoming precise about what you mean to say when writing!)

      Delete
  3. I love reading your posts. Such a cool resource, thanks for sharing!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should definitely study fashion when you're older!
    Again I love this post
    xxxxxxx

    www.teresanip.blogspot,co,uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my parents felt the same way and thank you!

      Delete